The 4th Space Coast Region autocross is in the record books and with it the first half of the 2018 season. Thanks to Mark Pieloch and Jerry and Ed from AMCM for their continued support and use of the facility. Also thanks to Shay Rowe for sponsorship and Simon and Dylan for working as starters from Porsche of Melbourne. Glad you guys came out!
In the class battles some people extended their points standings whiles others let the weather forecast keep them away and slipped in the points race.
• Ladies Class – The new Ladies class was dominated by Sally Jecman (2013 Boxster) set a good time on the first run but then put it all together on her second run to clinch first place with a 65.305. Sara Morrison ( 2007 Cayman) took 2nd with a 67.161 and Rachel Schwanitz (2014 Carrera) finished third with a 68.118.
• S04 – 981 Boxster/Cayman – Gary Lund (2014 Cayman) extended his points lead taking the S04 class with a quick 61.903. Larry Hughes (2009 Cayman) brought home a 64.709 for second and Robbie Whitehead (2013 Boxster) took third with a 66.009.
• S05 – 981 Boxster S/Cayman S class – Our largest class with 7 entries was won by Steve Milesic, (2017 718 Boxster S) who achieved a 61.021 seconds on his last run, proving the new platform is a contender. Steve Wojo (2014 Cayman S) improved his times through the day, taking second in class on his last run with a 62.139. Jason Gilbert (2007 Boxster S) who partners with Wojo doing time and scoring, when not driving, took a solid third place with a 62.772 also on his last run. This is a close, hard fought class.
• S08 -997/991 nonS class – Chris Buisson returned with his beautiful 2008 Ruby Red 997 Carrera to capture first with a 62.809. Only 0.178 seconds behind in second was Jurgen Schwanitz (2014 Carrera) with a very quick 62.987.
• S09 – 991S/981S class – Russ Karnap (2012 Cayman R) walked away with this first place with a blistering 58.571. Russ was also 4th overall and one of five people to break 60 seconds! Bob Layman (2015 Cayman GTS) also a fast driver improved every run and clinched second with a 60.123. David O’Neal (2015 Cayman GTS) used his third run to clinch third place with a 61.143 seconds.
• S10 – GT4/991T/GTS class- This two entry class saw Craig Barrie (2017 Carrera GTS) drop below 60 seconds on his forth and best run of 59.46. Although he dropped another second on his last run, a cone jumped out and hit his car. Pesky cones! Doug Dieruff (2016 GT4) took second with a 62.081 also on his 4th run.
• P13 – production 991 GT3/T class – on his first run Carmen DeVito (2015 991 GT3) put down what would prove to be his fastest run and FToD at 56.68 seconds. Ken Marshall (2018 Turbo) used his 2nd run to take second in class and 2nd overall with a 57.5 second time. Both ran better times but took cones with them near the finish line. Pesky cones again!
Uncontested in their respective class and extending their points leads were Tim Marshall (P16 – 2009 Cayman S) also 3rd overall at 58.49, Steve Sedaros (P12-2016 Cayman GT4), Jackson Hall (S01- 1993 968), Austin Lilly (S02- 1997 Boxster), John Buckley (S04- 2005 Boxster S), Jacob Martin (S09- 1995 C2), Adam Weiner (S11- 2018 Turbo), Greg Clifford (P06- 1977 911S), Robert Johnson (P08- 1985 Carrera).
Thanks to all the volunteers who came early and stayed afterwards to set up and clean up. Congratulations to all the drivers who came out and competed! Hope you had fun and see you in October!
May 2018 AutoX Results – at the American Muscle Car Museum